1.28.2009

For diving right in, I drowned in the deep end.


























Our first assignment at for Adv. Design was to design a cover and feature for an upcoming issue. I apparently am a bit rusty.
For the cover I wanted to incorporate the idea of hearing music on the big screen. So I chose to make an illustration with an old movie reel and music notes. Not being well-versed in Illustrator, it turned out to look very beginner. Plus the movie reels dated the story instead of referencing the points I was attempting to draw out. The look is very generic and I should've explored more with colors fonts and overall design. I did like my headline and deck ----- "Screen and Heard: How cinematic soundtracks are saving the music industry." I thought that was a decent head, but compared with the overall design it wasn't a success. 
As for my feature, I tried creating money tree going bare to symbolize our current economic recession. The overall layout throughout my spread was very dry and boring. I should've played with more elements to spice up the amount of text on the pages. Perhaps played with the sidebar a bit more. Now looking at it, I realize it looks much like a sea of gray. In the end I think the diving right into it and having such a quick turn-around threw me off. But we all learn from our mistakes and I'm working on a redesign that will hopefully bring me back to the surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment